I dropped a pint of beer on my Mac. 😢
Suddenly I realized how slow I am without my personal computer, I need to develop fast, anywhere. Of course nothing can replace my favourite environment but I want to be able to distribute my development tasks. Recently I read the AWS CloudShell announcement.
Few years ago, it was a dream for me to have an SSH shell I could connect from everywhere, for free! My fibo/home project, fits perfectly for this porpouse.
But how can I connect to an EC2 instance?
- Enter your CloudShell from your browser, just click on the CloudShell icon in the AWS console navigation bar.
- Get your Cloudshell instance IP: launch
- Create or update an Inbound rule for your EC2 instance security group that looks like
- Type: SSH
- Origin: The output from the command at point 1. Something like
- As a description I am adding the following: My IP on AWS Cloud Shell (launch curl ifconfig.co)
- Put your SSH key to some private bucket, then use
aws s3 cpto copy it to your CloudShell instance.
- Follow the instructions you get when you click on the “Connect” button in your EC2 instance dashboard. For instance you need to run (only once) a
chmod 400on you SSH key, and you also need to know th IP of your EC2 instance.